Nigel had ambitions to become a physiotherapist from a young age and dreamed of working for his beloved Bulldogs. He was accepted into Physiotherapy at the University of Queensland and graduated in 2000. Nigel progressed down the Sports pathway as far as working casually for the Queensland Reds, where he realised Sports physiotherapy wasn’t his thing, which was lucky, because it turned out he was rubbish at it!
Soon after, Nigel had a chance meeting with an Oral surgeon who was removing his wife's wisdom teeth. He started talking about muscle pain in the jaw and his lack of surgical options for treatment. As it happened, Nigel had personally had bad experiences with the management of his own TMJ as a teenager and had spent time (with good results) rehabilitating himself with basic physiotherapy principals. It turned out Nigel was quite good at fixing jaws, so as a result of a chance meeting, the niche field of Physiotherapy for Headaches, Neck and Jaw Pain chose Nigel.
Nigel has spent the last 10 years of his life refining his Jaw treatment techniques, attending any seminars on Jaws and headaches, most of which were run by dentists, and talking to anyone about the jaw who will listen.
When Nigel is not at work, he spends his time travelling, and is a true believer that any Country, County, State or Province should be officially rated by the food that is available. Sadly his home menu is now dominated by meatballs and fried rice, stuff that his 2 boys will eat. Nigel married Belinda, his university sweetheart, in 2004, and enjoys playing most sports with modest ability!
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Watson Headache© Certified Practitioner (Level 3)
- Trained in TMD and Cervicogenic sources of craniofacial pain with Mariano Rocabado
- Motor Reflex Testing with the TMJ & Sleep Therapy Centre
- Recognising and assessing oral soft tissue pathology- UQ School of Dentistry
- Masterclass in Advanced Dry Needling for headache, shoulder and upper quadrant
- Completed coursework with Barb Hungerford on treatment of the cervical spine and thoracic cage
- Annually lecture on the jaw to the UQ Dentistry Students
- Annually lecture on the jaw to the UQ Physiotherapy Students
Nigel Smith practices at the:
Nundah Clinic: Monday & Friday
Greenslopes Clinic: Tuesday mornings, Thursday